We just came home this morning from our Copenhagen and Malmo trip….and we took the train. It was a whopping 16 hours worth of trains there and 16 hours back. We went on 10 trains total. Can I mention… I am exhausted! There were things that I wish I would have known before taking the train (which is funny since I have taken the train before!).
So here are my tips to make your train travel the most comfortable as possible.
- Pack Light- which is an oxymoron actually. Because you are having to not only pack all of your clothing but you need items to survive your journey.
- Bring Snacks & Drinks: ALL the trains that we went on did NOT have a dining cart! So be sure to pick up something.
- Book a family compartment…
- When you book it make sure you book the entire thing (6 person)! Trust me it is worth it to do this. Sleeping with other people is NOT always fun. Luckily for us our other people left a hour after we arrived but our friends were not so lucky.
- Bring Dark-Colored sheets (Queen/King size)
- On our way to Denmark we had curtains on the windows, but on the way back we didn’t. Train stations can be VERY bright at night. So having a sheet to cover that it ideal.
- Bring another sheet to cover the door area as well to block out the light as well.
- Bring blankets and pillows to be comfortable!
- The train CAN be VERY cold. Ours last night was freezing. Guess where my blankets were used? (The window and door).
- Bring some sort of electronics
- Especially movies! My kids were entertained for HOURS!!!
- And some mess free activities
- Coloring books, dry erase boards etc…
- EAR PLUGS!
- Some people do not know how to shut up or move to another area if they are on the phone or chatting… even when you have a compartment. Earplugs or even some white noise will greatly reduce that sound.
- Sleeping on a train is uncomfortable as it is so having a little help … helps.
- So… you are going to laugh at me… my kids ALWAYS make a mess that is just them. I am seriously considering bringing a dustpan and brush. I am putting this on my list for our next trip for sure. I hate leaving messes in hotels and on the train because brooms are not supplied.
- And one more tip… be sure you have enough time between trains especially when you have kids. You will need to be able to have ample time to get from track to track!
Good luck! Thank you so much for taking the time to read our article about train travel! I hope that it will or has helped you immensely! Please share and comment below!